As per Hans (CEO of Hetzner) in an article posted on Hetzner’s web site today (November 3, 2017)
If you haven’t already done so, I urge you to update all passwords associated with your Hetzner account immediately. We realise this takes time and effort and we are sorry for the inconvenience required to recover from the breach.
We have been burning vast amounts of midnight oil to secure your accounts but the last password which needs to be reset is your email box password. There are a number of ways this can be done and this article will give you your options.
Option 1 - for IT and technical contacts at your company
Reset or Change your email password via konsoleH
- Browse to konsoleH and log in at Admin level or Domain level
- Admin level: Select or search for the applicable domain
- Select ‘Mail’ in the left-hand menu
- Select ‘Manage Accounts’
- Select ‘Edit’ next to the applicable mailbox
- Enter your new password and ensure you use a strong password
- Confirm your new password.
- Click ‘Update’
Option 2 - for individuals or end users
Reset or Change your email password in Webmail
- Browse to Webmail
- Log in with your:
- Full email address, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org and
- Email password (remember, passwords are case-sensitive)
- Click on ‘Settings’ (the cog icon at the top right)
- Click ‘Manage Mailbox’
- Login with your mailbox password
- Click the ‘Change password’ button
- Enter your new password twice and ensure you use a strong password
- Click ‘Update Mailbox’ at the bottom of the page
If you make use of an email program to access your email, it is important that you update your email program with your new password.
Make sure that your new password is a good one. Here are some guidelines Hetzner provide:
Ensure you have a strong password
- Use both upper and lower case letters
- Incorporate numbers or punctuation marks
- Ensure your password is at least 11 characters long
- Do not use usernames email addresses or domain names associated with your Hetzner account
- Do not use your personal information, like your pet’s name, special dates, or your ID number
- Use different passwords for your various hosting services
Want to see if you have a strong password?
Follow this link for step by step instructions for PCs, Macs and mobile devices:
Need more help?
We would like to help everyone out and to do this in the fastest way possible, to do this we will need you to download and install TeamViewer using the button below. Once you have installed it, give us a call and we will gladly assist.